Getting to Chicago
Chicago is readily accessible by air and rail. The O'Hare International Airport (ORD) is the world's second busiest airport and central hub for many airlines from around the globe. Domestic travelers may wish to fly into the city's smaller Midway Airport (MDW) which is closer to downtown Chicago and the ILDS conference venues. For those who prefer to travel by rail, Chicago Union Station is accessible via numerous Amtrak train routes.
Getting to the Conference Hotel
Taking a taxi from the airport to the Conference hotel remains a convenient option but Chicago's inexpensive public transportation system, CTA , offers an economical choice for experienced travelers. Money is not accepted on the train but transit cards are available for purchase with cash at vending machines in both airports and the train station. Credit cards are also accepted at the transit card vending machines in both airports. Directions to the official conference hotel, just 4 blocks south of the conference venue, are listed below with the cost comparisons.
From O'Hare Airport
- Expect to spend ~ $40 for cab fare to the conference hotel before tip
- Expect to spend $4.50 for the CTA Blue Line Train from the airport to West Jackson Blvd. Walk east from Jackson to State Street and board CTA Bus 29 going south to 11th street where you will exit and walk two blocks east.
From Midway Airport
- Expect to spend ~ $27 for cab fare to the conference hotel before tip
- Expect to spend $2.25 for the CTA Orange Line Train and exit going east at Roosevelt Road. Turn left at S. Wabash, and then right at 11th Street.
From Union Station
- Expect to spend ~ $5 dollars for cab fare to the conference hotel before tip (Using CTA in this case will save only the amount of the tip and will require walking half a mile with your luggage and therefore is not recommended.)
Getting Around Chicago
The Chicago Transit Authority operates a vast network of commuter trains and buses that facilitate travel all across the city and suburbs. Click here for detailed information about bus and train schedules, routes, and fares.